Monday, June 16, 2008

The First Day of School

I wake up to the sound of the river outside my balcony.

It's 7:30, I cross the green bridge, the mountains, the fresh air, the Zenica residents ready to start their day. I carry some supplies inside my Jansport backpack. I carry the lesson plans. I carry the roster. I carry the motivation. But will this be enough?

I arrive at the elementary school, a little late. Of course since it is the first day unexpected trouble creeps at the school. A volunteer is missing, all the supplies expected are not present, and I am more nervous and anxious than I thought I was going to be.

Things turn out well around spirited kids. Materials present, volunteers present, ready to work.

The first group of kids start pouring in to Trudy and I's classroom. All sit down, with their opened notebooks with a smile ready to learn. The language is a problem, especially with this younger group (5-6) but our translator Emina helps us along the way.

First Group (5-6)
- Greeting skit
- Name Crowns
- Zoom Zoom Name Game
-Paper Crumble Ice Breaker
- Greeting Vocabulary
- Outside Exercise
-Rules and Expectations

Second Group (8-10)
-Advanced Greeting Skit
-Name Crowns
-Zoom Zoom Name Game
-Paper Crumble Ice Breaker
-Family Vocabulary
-Hangman
-My Family picture...
-Rules and Expectations

Third Group (11-13)
-Super Advanced Greeting Skit
-Name Crowns
- Name Game
-Paper Crumble Chain Lock
-Family/Profession Vocabulary
- Professions Skit
- When I grow up I want to be...
-Rules and Expectations.

Each group proved to be a challenge on its own. However, every single kid showed passion and love for learning. Their effort was seen in all the activities we had ready for them, from the skits to the games, they all jumped at every opportunity to learn.

I was very impressed with the level of knowledge from the second and third group. Not only was their English close to perfect, but their knowledge about the world was incredible. Their will to participate and to take part in their education is something I have not seen often with children in the United States.

I have learned a lot from the first day. As I fall asleep with the sounds of the river I think about the laughter, the energy, the smiles, and especially the appreciation. I cannot wait to see them tomorrow with their crowns...

1 comment:

Kathy MacDonald said...

Great hat, Trude! The kids are cute but they all look bigger than you...